DO IT YOURSELF (D.I.Y.) OAT MILK BASE
PREP: 10 minutes (plus soaking time)
YIELD: Approximately 1 ½ cups
- 1 part* Rolled Oats** (not instant)
- 2 parts Water, preferably filtered
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender or Vitamix for 30 seconds, just tobreak up the oats. Do not over process or the solution will become gluey.
- Let soak 10-20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer, chinois or cheese cloth and chill.
- Shake before pouring. *A 2:1 ratio of water to oats is the most versatile (particularly if you plan to use as a coffee creamer), although a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio can also be used. **If using steel cut oats, prepare using the same method, soaking overnight, or at least for two hours, before blending.
Notes: Although oats are naturally gluten free, they are often exposed to gluten during processing, so if gluten is an issue look for the certified gluten - free label before making your selection.
In order to scale up the recipe, 1 cup oats + 2 cups water yield approximately 1 ½ cups of oat milk base. Strained oats may be cooked according to instructions or dehydrated and stored for another use.