Aquafaba Vegan Meringue Mushrooms
PREP: 45 minutes (plus 2 hours baking) YIELD: approx. 2 dozen mushrooms
1 15-ounce can Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans), ¾-1 cup of liquid (room temperature)
¾ cup Sugar
1tsp. Vanilla Extract
3-4 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate Squares, melted (for attaching stems to caps)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Strain the chickpeas through a strainer, reserving the liquid.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat liquid on high to stiff peaks.
- Slowly add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until glossy.
- Add extract and incorporate.
- Add meringue mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a round ¼ – ½ inch) tip, depending on preferred size of mushrooms.
- Holding the bag vertical, pipe out long stems vertically, about ¾-1 inch each.
- Next, pipe out the same number of round caps, about the size of a penny or quarter, depending on the size of the stem.
- Lightly dust with finely sifted cocoa powder.
- Bake in oven 2 hours.
- Remove meringues to a rack to cool completely.
- Using a sharp paring knife, gently slice top off each stem.
- Place chocolate squares over a bowl of very hot water, stirring until melted. Cool slightly.
- Using a small spatula, spread melted chocolate over level top of a stem and attach a mushroom cap. Allow chocolate to harden.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.